I recently decided to experiment with a recipe to make coconut banana cream pie when I received coconut hearts filled with coconut water and fresh sliced coconut from Melissa’s Produce! I was super excited because I love coconut everything and my hubby loves coconut cream and banana cream pie, so I wanted to surprise him with a fresh baked pie! 🙂
These two coconut items were so simple and easy to use because the sliced coconut was already pre-sliced and the whole coconut had already been stripped of his brown external layer and was ready to eat…filled with coconut water and all! I recommend purchasing these products whether you have a coconut recipe to try out or if you even just want to eat some fresh coconut!
For my pie, I gathered together some simple ingredients which included:
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Melissa’s Produce Coconut Heart with water
- Melissa’s Produce Coconut slices
- 1 small sliced banana
- 1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Whipped cream (optional)
The awesome thing about this recipe is that there is a super quick prep time of only 25 minutes, 30 minutes to cook and it is ready in 5 hours after it is chilled! 🙂 While you are prepping your ingredients, make sure to bake the pie crust per the directions on the crust.
- Chop up coconut on a cutting board into small pieces.
- Pour out coconut water from center of coconut heart to blend in mix and set aside.
- Slice a banana in small slices.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt over a medium heat; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture is thick and bubbly. Reduce heat to low and cook 2 minutes more. Remove the pan from heat.
- Place a strainer over a clean mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, separate the yolks from the eggs and beat the egg yolks slightly.
- Gradually pour 1 cup of the hot custard mixture into yolks, whisking constantly.
- Return the egg mixture to the saucepan and bring the entire mixture to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes before removing the pan from heat.
- Stir butter, vanilla, and coconut into the hot mixture. Pour through strainer to smooth texture. Next add coconut chunks and flaked coconut, along with half of the coconut water from the Melissa’s Produce coconut. (Do not add too much coconut water or the mix will become too liquidly)
- Pour the hot filling into the baked pie crust.
- Cool and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
- Once pie is complete, add fresh sliced bananas to the top of the pie and add whipped cream if you would like. (optional)
I hope you have enjoyed my coconut banana cream pie recipe! This can also be prepared as a pudding if you choose to do without the pie crust! 🙂 Please let me know your thoughts in the comments section below!
To subscribe to my blog to get weekly deals like these and other dynamic ways to save and to live champagne dreams on a beer budget, simply scroll down & enter your email address where it says to follow blog via email. You will then receive an email asking you to confirm subscription. Simply confirm subscription and you will be subscribed. 🙂 Thank you for your time and feel free to spread the word to others that want to learn all different kinds of ways to save money on food, travel, shopping, and products:) Please feel free to like my facebook page, Dani’s Decadent Deals as well to get daily deals everyday for everything from clothing, travel, restaurants, activities, adult events and kids’ events. 🙂 Have fun saving!!!